Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

So Silent Hill 2...

So yesterday, Chris showed me Silent Hill 2, from start to finish. It was an interesting experience, watching a game be played, a classic at that. Aside from the small glitches due to the 360 emulation, I found the game interesting.

Now, gameplay and design wise, the game is definitely showing its age. Fetch quests in gorgeous environments are one thing, in bland buildings with glitchy textures, not so much. However, I do not believe this is what this game is about. If there was a game to which we can apply the onion analogy, this is it. Silent Hill 2 is meticulously crafted. The characters are there for a reason, the enemies look the way they do because of who the main character is, the places you explore are significant and the atmosphere still oozes out of your screen.

I am fairly certain that the game would stand on its own, even if it wasn't part of a famous series. On the other hand, I'm glad I was not playing but simply watching. I do not think I would have finished the game, it's pace is too slow for what I like to play now. Although... I think I would get a blast trying to go after the UFO ending.

This experience was very interesting, seeing someone's favourite game being played from start to finish with running commentary to boot. I'm hoping we can turn this look at the other's favourite games into a monthly feature or something.

On to another 2, StarCraft. I'm loving it so far. We are having a "LAN" party this Saturday and I get that feeling that it will be, wait for it, legendary (I'm also watching How I Met your Mother again). Sunday's post will most likely be about
SC2.

If you are wondering what is happening with Episode 2, our podcast will return near the end of August / beginning of September.

Until next post, this is Jeff, saying good game.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment