Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Ubisoft: The First Hour

Greetings fellow Press Starters (name for fanbase still in the work in progress stages...), did not have too much time to watch the conference unfortunately, getting this thing started does take a lot of precious time. I did however have time to watch the first hour, and this is what I thought of it...

Child of Eden: The first thing Ubi showed, from the same guy that did Lumines on PSP, and wow, this game looks awesome. It looks like it's using a combination of Natal (now Kinect) and a glove designed specifically for this game. Honestly, this is the first time I've seen something that could potentially use Natal that actually looks cool. My interest is now officially piqued.

Assassins Creed Brotherhood: Huge fan of the franchise, even the first one which was repetative as hell, and the handhelds which... I can barely consider part of the franchise. This takes place somewhere within the timeline of Numero 2 as far as I can tell. Again, looks pretty cool, I am thinking that the combat is going to drag this one down though. Attacking towers with canon's is cool and all, but the fighting mechanics... I don't know. It looks identical to 1 and 2, except now the enemy is constantly attacking you, even when you are attacking the other dudes around you. I'll still pick it up day one, but I'm fearing the "More of the Same Sequelitis" going on in this one.

Shawn White Skateboarding: It's another Shawn White game. Never did like the guy, (am I the only one here thinking Carrot Top?), but this idea seems interesting. The area starts off black and white, as you skate around and do tricks you actually bring color to the area. There are also green bits that change itself based on how you're playing. So, if you're grinding on a rail, and turn left, if the railing was green it moves a few inches in front of you, so it'll turn left too. Not genre breaking, I don't think Skate is going to be dethroned yet, (although Tony Hawk should think about taking some notes), I do think the idea is neat and I'll be looking more into this as more info is released.

Right after Shawn White walks off the set, a bunch of people start playing lazer tag. I'm not even kidding, the game they were showing is exactly what lazer tag is, except you set up your own checkpoints and stuff. I'm not a big fan. I love lazer tag, (what self respecting bro doesn't?), but this stuff came out years ago. Putting something onscreen doesn't make it any different. Not impressed.

Innergy: It's a breathing simulator. No joke, there's a little meter on a screen with a ball going around, and you have to make your breathing leveled so that the ball doesn't cross lines that go up and down. If I wanted a breathing simulator... I wouldn't want a breathing simulator. Next!

Well, lastly from this hour, they showed off a Project Kinect (I swear I typed Natal there a bunch of times first) version of Wii Sports, and a Kinect version of Wii Fit. Ripping off Nintendo 101, class is now in session. The games looked interesting in a small and "beem there done that" kind of way, I don't know if I'll pick it up, and I'll definitely need more info first.


And that's it for the first hour. Stay tuned, more on this conference and all of E3 coming shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment