Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Metroid: Other M - The end of my Metroid summer

I'm starting this post as the final credit to Other M scroll in front of me. A rather bland orchestral piece is playing, not memorable at all. No Samus Theme, really?

The game does something really cool after the credit. A fun and story related way to finish collecting the items. The epilogue actually made me appreciate the game more.

In many ways, it feels like a 3D version of Metroid Fusion. You are aboard a space station, sections are locked, sometimes unlocked. You must use navigation rooms to progress, etc.

My biggest disappointment has to be the music. Few classic themes are used and even when they are, their impact is not really strong. Also, no classic pickup chime? Honestly, the sound used sounds a regurgitating computer. There were no moments like realizing that you are listening to a slowed version of the Brinstar theme as you embark on a new adventure on Tallon IV. No eery and familiar tune to make the slow trek through water more enjoyable. No heroic theme to let you know that you are indeed THE BEST bounty hunter in the galaxy. No bombastic chanting as you explore a fiery region.

Story wise, I couldn't care less. I've already typed enough words on Metroid to show that even if the game was a total failure (which it is not), I would still enjoy it. It is, however, way too full of itself and heavy handed. I guess Samus would be prone to monologuing a lot... She does spend a lot of time alone. At least we now have some context to the Adam of Fusion.

Maybe this Metroid aims to get new fans, and the gameplay may succeed in doing that. I hope it sells well... I mean, the game IS fun. The I guess I was expecting something more epic.

In the end, this further proves how different American and Japanese sensibilities are towars storytelling. Prime is a lot more akin to Bioshock, with little exposition, most of the story comes from elements you scan (something you never have to do) whereas Other M feels like a classic Japanese with » stock characters (the geekyscientist, the faceless mooks, the evil colonel, ...).

The Prime series managed to instill so much life and lore in the universe. Sure, you had to read to get to that, but it was worth it. Who wouldn't to see another game where the Chozos aren't explored more?

After Other M and Fusion, the space left for Samus to explore seems a lot smaller. No more Metroids..., no more Space Pirates. Maybe it's time for her to rest. No matter what folks might say about her latest adventure, in my humble opinion, it is mission complete.

P.S.: This post was written over a few nights, hence the lack of cohesion of sorts.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment